Saturday, December 7, 2013

I don't mind getting older...


as long as the cakes keep getting bigger!
It’s that time of the year again, time for holiday celebrations, family gatherings, and lots of food. It also brings about the ending of another year. If you’re like me you are probably wondering how in the world an entire year went so quickly. The older I get, the faster time seems to fly. Life gets busier and busier. It becomes filled with responsibilities, jobs, family, and time seems to shift into warp speed. I've realized I'm now staring middle age square in the face. What?! How did that happen?
Pfizer has asked me to participate in their Get Old campaign and discuss what getting older and having a happy future means to me. Growing older is inevitable fact of life. A privilege denied to many, as the saying goes. As I've gotten older, I've started to think more about the future than I did as a younger person. I certainly put more thought now into what I eat and trying to get enough exercise and sleep than I used to. Staying healthy has definitely become much more important to me as the years go by. While good health plays a large part in planning for the future, I also find it equally important to keep learning new things as well. For me, having a creative outlet and new challenges to conquer are just as important as good health to my future happiness.
Blogging is one of my creative outlets. It’s wonderful having a place to share ideas, the things that excite me, and connecting with people I might never have met otherwise.  I've learned so much through blogging. Everything from taking better photos to what SEO means. Yeah, I had to google it too!
Anyway, it was through blogging that I discovered that my real passion in life is cake decorating. One of the things I enjoy most about cake decorating is that there’s always something new to learn. There is always some new technique for decorating a cake or a new cake recipe to make. It helps me keep current on popular styles and pop culture trends. Did you know that ombre cakes are a huge trend in wedding cakes or that the Ninja turtles have made a comeback?  With some cakes I get asked to make, I receive very specific and detailed directions on what the client wants. However, I'd say at least half of the cakes I do I get little or almost no direction at all. For example, one recent order went like this; I know I want purple and something to do with art. Okay... time to get creative!

 Every cake I do brings me a new set of challenges. With each new cake I decorate I feel I'm learning to become a better cake designer. It's what keeps me excited and wanting to push myself even more.
 I truly believe you’re never too old to learn something new or to push yourself to try something you've never done before. There’s no stopping the forward march of time. However that doesn't mean you have to stop learning or trying new things.  I believe that a large part of a happy future can be found in allowing a place for creativity of some form in your life no matter what your age. 
  • Get Old is an initiative developed by Pfizer  to challenge people of all ages to rethink what it means to Get Old and take a more active role in their health and quality of life at every age.  Whether it’s through watching what you eat, physical exercise, spending time with family and friends or participating in an activity you’re passionate about -- each of us has the power to decide for ourselves how we want to Get Old. It’s not just about living longer, but living better.


I am participating in a sponsored campaign hosted by Pfizer and Get Old. I received compensation for this post. All opinions stated are my own. 

1 comment:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I would have to agree with your wise words. Besides we are only as old as we feel.Mind you comes day I feel 100:D